Monday, October 12, 2009

The last couple of days have been a blur I have had no time, with my normal busy schedule and Thanksgiving it has been hectic. yesterday I just decided to really really rest, I watched T.V. ate leftovers and napped, it was a much needed day to myself.

We had our dinner on Saturday and is was great, Frank did the prep (grunge) work because I was teaching all morning and I pulled it together. Although I must say Frank made an amazing dressing for the Turkey....he added apples to it.

We had 5 of the kids home, only Ben couldn't make it. I can only say it was one of the best days I have had in a long long time, having the family together is such a great feeling, watching them interact at an adult level is interesting.

Margaux (my daughter) had a split with her boyfriend, so it was perfect that she spend the day around people who love her and support her.

Plus the bonus is 4 grandchildren now....who are so cute...and entertaining and so full of love.

I have eaten okay, probably more butter then I normally would, and of course I had the most amazing slice of pumpkin pie I have ever eaten. I sent the leftover pie away so I wouldn't be tempted to eat more.

Yesterday I ate leftovers for both lunch and dinner but skipped the potato's and rolls, to cut down a bit on the carbs and starches....not sure if it really mattered because of the butter and sauces...

I love to cook, I love to read cook books and to try new recipes...generally I don't have the time during the week but for occasions I start a few weeks in advance sorting through Canadian Living magazines and cookbooks.

I tried a great recipe for Brussels Sprouts that I just have to share. It is from the More HeartSmart CookBook by Bonnie Stern. It is low fat and really really good, Frank ate 1/3 of the dish before I had even served it, he kept sneaking into the kitchen and popping sprouts into his mouth.

Makes 6 servings
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger (I used the pre-chopped kind but added a bit more)
1 lb carrots sliced on diagonal
1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 cup chicken stock (they suggest homemade, vegetarians use veggie broth)
1/2 tsp salt (I skipped the salt because I used a prepared chicken stock)
1/4 tsp pepper

1. heat oil in large non stick skillet. Add ginger and cook gently until fragrant.
2. Add carrots and Brussels sprouts. Drizzle with maple syrup and turn to coat well.
3. Add chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and cook uncovered until liquid evaporates and the vegetables are glazed.

So today I have one more Turkey Dinner to eat and then I am back to my food plan.

Breakfast
1/2 a whole wheat bagel with light cream cheese.
Pear
Snack - raspberries with yogurt and a bit of granola.
Lunch - Salad with tuna and a bit of grated cheese.
Dinner - Turkey and the fixing's I am going to skip dessert and avoid the carbs.

I am hoping to run soon....I have to do a bit of cooking for today but if I get going soon I will have the time for a run.....motivation please.

No comments:

Post a Comment