Saturday, March 13, 2010

I spent almost the entire afternoon with a good friend, in Second Cup, it was a catch up day as we have not spent any time together for quite awhile.
Twice during this time something she said hit my like a sledgehammer, one thing she said hit me so hard that my jaw almost dropped, it was so true but is not something that I want to change right now.
The second challenge she gave me was to start booking my trip to Thailand so that I actually go.
I am now officially planning my trip to Thailand I have been talking about it but not really planning, so my next step is to plan, today I contacted the school and a local resort and began reviewing weather predictions and travel arrangements to plan for the best time to go, I hope to avoid Monsoon season.
I have a spread sheet done, I know how much money I need to live for a month in Thailand, it is not that much, most of my flight will be covered by Visa Air Miles, the only thing that puts a little knot in my stomach is the trip from Bangkok to the Island of Koh Phangan, it includes a day long bus trip, a boat ride and another bus.
I can't imagine travelling so much by myself I feel a little nervous. Being alone in an unfamiliar country, being tired, catching planes, buses and boats. I could fly from Bankock to Kom Samui but the cost is high in comparison, maybe I should spend the extra money the first time to feel safe.
From Kom Samui where there is an airport, I would still need to catch a ferry to Koh Phangan and a bus to the resort.

I don't do tired real well, which makes me a poor traveller, this is really going to be a big challenge for me to overcome.
As I read through the travel arrangements Florida starts to sound like a good idea...I know I am being called to Thailand and really want to immerse myself in this program.....but a bus ride through an unfamiliar country to catch a boat, sounds like a rough day of being tired and popping anti nausea pills. I get car sick at the best of times.

The island is stunning beaches, outdoor yoga classes, lectures and more...I hope to snorkel a bit and since I will be alone I will be forced to really open up and meet new people from around the world. The knot gets bigger the more I plan, sometimes I am such a chicken.
I have also committed to a trip to Costa Rica with my friend, she like me loves the outdoors, and we are planning to hike, bike and propel through valleys on ropesand then end the day in a good hotel with some great food no camping or roughing it for us. This will be a fun trip and an adventure.
For years I have talked about travelling but for many reasons just couldn't , from this point on I am going to make travel a priority in my life, there are still things I want to do and since in 6 months I am going to be 50 I need to get going as some of the things might be a little challenging as I get older.
This is my personal to do list.
Study Yoga at the Agama School
Learn to windsurf
Taking a gliding lesson
Dive (not just snorkel).
Cycle in Scotland
Visit India
Still debating a marathon

4 comments:

  1. Good! I'm so happy that you've put this on project status. Don't think too much about the obstacles. You'll set up unnecessary road blocks that might stall your excitement. Just believe that you can do it and you will enjoy it and learn so much about yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mee too I am soo excited, it has taken a good year to have my husband accept the trip, but since it is a business write off and I will come back with enough material to finish off my Advanced Teacher training program, he has begun to see it as a good idea.. He is so practical. I had to appeal to his sales side, all I need it one student in my Advanced teacher training program to pay for the trip....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I just had contact with the school today and they said July was a great time to go, Frank is now pushing me to book it. I think I will leave after the retreat in July....yikes...I am getting so excited.

    ReplyDelete