Sunday, March 21, 2010

French Fries with Brian

After blogging about needing someone wise in my life I decided to pick up the phone and call a friend in Ottawa who is a mentor of mine, the last several months my busy schedule has prevented me from calling him, mostly I think because my mind has been occupied.

It was as if the months had never passed, we talked for over an hour on the phone and I slept feeling like a million bucks. Cobwebs cleared, great advice given and I feel strong and sure of my choices.

Friends like Brian are blessings in my life.

Brian and I in particular have a strong connection, we have had similar lives, but he is much more worldly than I. What I like is the strong personal connection combined with his past business experience so that when I discuss my thoughts and goals I receive feedback based on years of business experience and similar personal experiences.

Also he likes me which is important, he thinks I am great, and gives my positive feedback on my progress in this crazy world of monkey minds.

I think the fact that our relationships starts with mutual like is so important from there we have built a foundation of trust and then, over the 12 years we have been friends, his sage advice has been good for me.

I listen so carefully when he speaks, because he has this ability to zero in on what is really happening and I get really amazing feedback, it is like he just knows what I need to hear.

I think too because he lives so far away I haven't developed an unhealthy dependency on his advice which can happen in these types of relationships.

He is retired now from some really important roles in business and talks a great deal about his family and friends. He is a bit crusty at times...in many ways he reminds me of my Dad, they are the same age.

I have a tripped planned to Ottawa next Fall to spend some time with him face to face and eat french fries, I always order fries when I eat with Brian it is our thing. I haven't ordered French Fries since the last time we had lunch together which was about 3 years ago. I will spend a great deal of time preparing for this time together because we see each other so seldom, I will review my life since the last time we met and talk over with him my successes and failures and share my plans for the next few years.

I have some major goals I have been planning for 2011 and 2012 but before I proceed I will eat French Fries with Brian.

No comments:

Post a Comment