Saturday, January 2, 2010

My soul mate

As I reflect on the past year and plan for the next, I can't help thinking about my husband, I have never found marriage easy...I have been married twice...I find marriage a roller coaster ride of incredible highs, flat places and sometimes lows that seem to be deeper then you thought would occur. I have been with my husband 13 years now....married almost 6. He is for sure my soul mate Popular culture would have you think a soul mate is the guy you run along the beach with holding hands in a constant state of bliss, however a true soul mate is the person who makes you grow the most. A soul mate can push your buttons, bring up your unhealed stuff and take you to heights of joy and make you wonder if life could be any better.

Frank is my soul mate....I am not sure if I have wanted all the growth but he has forced me into it. Sometimes when I see myself through his eyes I want to cringe, and I admire the patience he shows me. At times I am the best possible mate he could ever have, I lie with him in my arms and tell him that all will be okay and that I am there for him and I feel his energy calm and peace float into his mind. At times I am his rock at times he is mine.

Yesterday was one of those days where I really thought about the support he has given me. He joined me at Kirtan (yoga call and response) last night, he sat crossed legged and chanted in Sanskrit, while he played a drum. He smiled and sang and joked and was so much fun to be with, at times I would look sideways at him and I was amazed. I know very few female instructors whose husbands have even attended one of their classes let alone chant with them.

He is almost 14 years older than me but since we have met he has tried so many new things with me, his sense of adventure is amazing, he has run with me, done yoga with me, gone on yoga retreats, and now he has chanted with me. I hope that at his age I will still have that youthful enthusiasm for life.

Frank loves to make people laugh it is one of his gifts.

I have not always been the best partner but like most of us I have tried, in 2010 I hope to spend more time with Frank doing fun things putting behind us the stress of the last few years and starting over, enjoying the things we both like to do, such as hiking with our dogs, going to movies and getting away to our favorite hiding spot.



No comments:

Post a Comment