Friday, April 16, 2010

Tree Hugging




I loved hitting the trails this week, with the new beginner trail running clinic. What a powerful experience trail running is for me. I find that the more I am outdoors and in particular around trees the better I feel. The fact that the group is beginner is even better, I am not a hardcore runner. I love running but at an easy pace that makes me feel good, not struggling, not so out of breath I feel like barfing.

I love the energy of trees, yes I have hugged a tree once, privately, when no one was looking, and actually it felt good..if that makes me a tree hugger so be it.

I also have to admit I have felt like hugging trees lately, it must be some sort of primal need for their energy. I am not sure I am self confident enough to hug a tree where I could be seen. But I know for sure I will be hugging a tree or two soon, privately.

When looking for the picture for my blog I found instructions on how to hug a tree, as humans we must complicate everything, we have a strong need to label and sort and define, we never seem to be able to just let go and do something without thought.

Here are some tree hugging directions.

  1. Find yourself a quiet park, forest, or woodland area.
  2. Walk among the trees until you feel comfortable in their presence.
  3. Feel the different bark textures with the palms of your hands.
  4. Smell the scent of the various woods.
  5. Absorb their life's energies as you look upwards to the sprawling branches overhead.
  6. Find the perfect tree that fits your mood. You will know which one is right for you.
  7. Vertical Tree Hug: Encircle it with your arms while gently pressing your cheek to the trunk being careful not to scratch your face. Squeeze tightly. Sigh deeply. Be one with your tree.
  8. Full Body Tree Hug: Sit upon the ground wrapping your legs around the base of the tree and at the same time embracing it with your arms.
  9. Up in the Air Tree Hug: Climb a tree. Sit upon a strong limb and straddle it with your legs. Bend forward and place your belly against it while wrapping your arms about it.
Tips:
  1. Feel free to hug more than one tree if the mood strikes. Besides, other trees might get jealous.
  2. You may like to take home a fallen leaf or nut as a keepsake from your new friend.
  3. Be sure to return each season to visit your tree. And don't be afraid to talk to it as trees are good listeners.
One quick word of advice... tree hugging should not be confused with tree humping which could find you in a whole lot of trouble....LOL....

2 comments:

  1. OMG...imagine if that joke had floated across the table the other night *snort*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably know that your Mom is a tree hugger from way back. If I can't hug, I touch and talk to them. I get very upset when I see that someone has nailed something to a tree. Do they not know that the tree has feelings? I guess not.

    ReplyDelete