Friday, April 9, 2010

Overcoming Dread....


I have to admit to struggling with some dread on my long run days, I used to love the long slow runs but wasn't doing any real distance for years and have found increasing my distance a bit of a struggle mentally and physically. Since 80% of the problem is always in my mind I have forced myself to get out there.

This week though something changed...poof... I found myself looking forward to a planned long run, thinking of different routes, planning a few hills (Brawley Hill) and anticipating this time to myself, away from the computer, phone and my business.


Over the years I have used many methods to overcoming dread here are a few;

Arranging runs with fun people
Visualizing the route and seeing myself enjoying the run
Arranging a great new playlist (sometimes I run with my IPOD, sometimes I just run for the quiet).
Choosing a scenic route
Laying out my gear the night before with an attitude of gratitude that I can run

Those are some of the ways I have over come dread, yet this week I have had no dread and I am looking forward to a long slow run, just as soon as I feel my blood sugar stabilize.

I am hypoglycemic and wake up in the morning generally feeling drawn due to the long lack of food in my body, my blood sugar drops while I sleep and I need food to help stabilize it. Over the years as a runner I have learned to make sure my blood sugar is balanced before I head out,

I have had some pretty rough times where I have had "dummping spells" and been unable to walk or run home. For this reason I usually bring my cell phone, money and a snack on a run. Once I had to sit on the side of the road for an hour before I could walk again. Generally I am okay these days but every once in a while it seems to hit me out of the blue.

I have planned a tough route today....a huge hill I have not run before....I cycled past it last week and thought to myself...you are next HILL, I am running up you without stopping. I love the challenge of a good hill, I may not make it up the first, second or third time but I WILL make it up.


This week to my body feels like a well tuned machine, I am really fit and strong, and I love the way my body moves and functions when I am strong.

This is my workout from the Past Week;

Friday - 27K Cycle
Saturday - 5K Run
Sunday - 15k Cycle
Monday - Hot Yoga
Tuesday - Shakti Shake Yoga, 4k Run
Wednesday - Pilates, 6k Trail Run
Thursday - rest day, although I did a bit of AB work, maybe 10 or 15 minutes.
Friday - soon to head out for 14k to 16k, I may do a Ball workout later.


This weekend I am on a Can Fit Pro Course and will not be working out at all...probably a good idea and Monday I have booked a massage for myself...a well deserved one I would think.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome Sheree! I love the feeling of being excited about long slow distance runs. Take me with you in your pocket since I can't run along side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a fun long run! I also find it hard to get out the door sometimes, but once I'm out there I love the time to myself and the feeling of accomplishment afterwards!

    ReplyDelete