Monday, April 12, 2010

Fridays Run

So after overcoming dread and finally really wanting to go for a long slow run, I have to share with you my other secret.

I will call it sloth. I have been avoiding hills like the plague not because I can't do them..I am awesome on hills, I am physically very strong. I have been avoiding them just because I was dreading the long runs and if you add hills to the dread....sigh it just makes it too hard to get out the door.

Friday I decided no way, I was just going to run, and I chose Brawley hill as my goal hill. I told my monkey mind that the worst case scenario was that I would walk up Brawley hill, no big deal.

So off I ran, the first 3 sets of 10 and 1's were a little tough, just because I don't seem to warm up for 4 or 5k, they led me to Ashburn hill which you can see looming in front of you like a mountain, you really can't think about Ashburn Hill until you are on the hail it looks way harder than it is, I crested Ashburn Hill to a nice flat and then turned onto Brawely Rd for some great scenery and a bit of a down hill before the real test of the run...Brawley Hill, steep, long and almost like a double hill, you crest a bit and then immediately start the second half of the hill. I took a bit of a walk break at the second part but dug down deep and ran the rest. I must say it was tough but not that tough.

One of the things that helped me was my playlist, sometimes I run with music sometimes not...over the 12 years I have been running I have trained without music most of the time but sometimes I enjoy it. I carefully choose the playlists, I pick positive lyrics and music that affects my mood, there is nothing better than the new song written for the Olympics "I believe" while cresting a hill.

I was reminded on Friday that I am awesome on hills I think it is my personality that make me good on hills, I can be very determined and very focussed. I set goals and generally get there one way or another. Some people criticize me for my drive but I remind them that my journey is not theirs, sometimes I just bite my tongue and try hard not to say what I am thinking realizing that small comments can do great damage and in the end are not that important.

After Fridays hilly run I drove to Humber College and sat at a desk for 4 hours, I must admit that I felt like my body was not going to straighten as I stood up at 9:00pm to leave.

I ran 4k with run club Saturday morning, finished off a 20 hour course on the weekend and feel like a million bucks today.

I am already planning this weeks long run....17k, including Ashburn and Brawley Hills .

If you are reading this and think I do too much.......remember...your journey and mine are different for a reason...LOL

2 comments:

  1. I find your journey very inspiring! I had a fellow co-worker tell me that working out 5 x per week was too much and that there was no way I could sustain that... ??? Apparently this co-worker has not met you or Misty.. lol.
    I replied to this person by saying that if I was ever to reach my personal goals, I would have to make a commitment to 5 x per week.
    And if there are weeks that I don't reach that 5x goal, at least I will have done 3!
    Thank you Sheree for being the fitness warrior that you are and inspiring me to have FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny most new research shows that people can and should exercise every day....maybe not weights and running every day but something. Yoga one day running the next etc....doing gentle workouts in between harder ones is great for you. When I get tired I just take a day off, I agree shoot for the stars and at the very least you will land on the moon.

    ReplyDelete