Friday, July 23, 2010

Agama Yoga School

So the first week of school is under my belt, it has gone fast, we are learning lots about yoga philosophy and there is a focus on the Chakras and attunement with the universe. The teachers are incredibly well read, very bright and some of them have been studying here for 6 year. Because they are so well read they bring great examples into their analogies and most are really good story tellers.





It has been tough, choosing to do the fast zapped my energy and included colemas that we a mental block for me the first few I dreaded and had to force myself to go to, they were self administered thank goodness, but the first couple were awkward and uncomfortable. The last one was a breeze I felt like a pro, I even took pictures during it. And yes much like my husband has said (on occasion), I was full of shit.



Also I hurt my back and was in tremendous pain, thank god for Ibruprofen, I was crying one night because the pain was so bad. I decided though to still attend classes and to use a chair at the back of the room and it is working out okay. Just being around the energy of all people doing yoga helps to make me feel better.







My fast ended yesterday and I am glad I did it, the experience was challenging but I had really wanted to attempt one and thought this was the perfect safe place to attempt one. I lost almost 7lbs and have tons of energy. I also have not had coffee in 4 days....and feel okay. Whether or not I return to coffee will depend on whether or not I choose to come home to my old way of life, I hope that I do make some changes, I have a good life but I was tired and I need to find more balance between work and personal time, maybe just more time away, in fact I am booking a weekend away with my husband as soon as I return, so more Kama (pleasure) in my life will be a focus for me.







Spiritual practices require discipline, as discipline is one of the Niyamas or guidelines to living with self, doing the same thing over and over again requires discipline. It also takes disciple over a number of years, one does not become enlightened at their first meditation, nor do you realize much about yourself, it takes years of going inward to even begin to understand how you tick. The question they suggest we ask is "Why am I here?"





A yoga teacher back home once confessed to me that she is so busy and stressed that she no longer does yoga, she swore me to secrecy because she is so well known. I can easily see how that could happen and hope that I can maintain balance in my life. and stay connected with yoga, meditation and prayer once I leave here.







Today I attended a Spiral Mediation which is based on the Theory of countering the Yin energy of a full moon, which is Svadistana chakra, and is partially about sex and emotions. Here on the Island they have full moon parties which are massive and are about drinking, drugs and dancing, people come to the Island just for these Rave like parties. Agama school tries to counter this energy but creating Yang energy.





At the meditation we were lined up male/female by our stars signs and then spiralled a senior teacher was at the head/middle of the spiral and energy was moving through our arms. It was a standing meditation which lasted 45 minutes, it takes discipline to move through the distractions of the mind while standing for that long, the heat was incredible I had sweat pouring down my body. Since I was holding hands any movement would have distracted the men on either side of me so I stood perfectly still. Each time my mind wandered and towards the end it wondered quite a bit I brought my concentration back to the breath and I made it through the whole meditation. It really was an incredible experience. It left me feeling amazing but unfortunately I couldn't sleep because my energy was so good.,







I am not all yoga and meditation thought I must confess, I an having a blast, the people I am meeting are interesting and from all over the world, I am learning lots and making friends I sure I will see again. Saturday night a couple from Dubai rented a pick up truck and took about 9 of us into town, we went to an open market full of portable stalls selling food, it was neat to see the generations of Thais gathered around their kiosks, young and old gathered to sell food. I had mango sticky rice which is addictive some grilled veggies with a couple of grilled prawns that were caught that day. Luckily I love spicey food because everything is served with a side of spice.





Sunday some friends of friends came out to meet me and then I rented a motor bike and headed into town for some souvenir shopping and bought Thai Fisherman pants for myself. I am still very rusty on the bike and have to laugh when elderly women zoom past me with a grandchild or two on their bikes, I just keep to the side of the road and do around 30 or 40k/hour.





It is 6:45 am the first day of my second week of school, I am excited about what this week may bring, new people arrive all the time so not only is the school interesting so is meeting all these people, most of them are travellers and all are spiritual seekers, it is not chance that we are here at Agama at the same time, there is a reason unfolding for each of us.

1 comment:

  1. enjoying your blogs, keep them coming!

    All is well here, life goes on with few changes - waiting for you to come back and inject a little of what you have learned into our Brooklin bubble :)

    ReplyDelete